Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Buffer Solutions

Resource: http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/acidbaseeqia/buffers.html

What is a buffer? Well, anyone who has played a Final Fantasy game or any video game in general can probably come up with something around giving stat that do something to a character. I play video games and I understand what is meant with this, but it is extremely incorrect. An actually buffer is a solution that resists changes to a pH level by use of a small amount of acid or alkali. An acidic acid is a pH level of less than 7 and will usually contain a small quantity of an acid and some kind of salt. Alkaline buffer requires a weak base and a salt, and the pH level will be over 7 pH. The way buffers will work is that the buffer solution must contain things which will remove any hydrogen ions or hydroxide ions that might add to it. This resists the the pH level from getting higher or lower.

I decided I would look into this subject more since next week we will be performing experiments on it. The web page felt very much like gibberish, but I'm sure when we truly learn about it I'll understand so much better. This website though would be a good start for a review If I ever needed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment